Monday, October 6, 2008

What a weekend!

Not really on a diet front, but did you happen to see the Missouri Tigers take the Cornhuskers out to the woodshed. Most lopsided loss at Lincoln since 1955. Folks I am just gonna tell you now. If the defense happens to be even halfway for real this Missouri team will be playing in January.

So what the heck does football have to do with weight loss? Well basically that food log I promised got thrown out the window on Saturday and Sunday. I did not make great choices, particularly with the booze.

Saturday was great until dinner. I ended up with pretzels for breakfast, boiled shrimp for lunch but then came dinner. I had what I call Cajun Rangoon with Ala mer dipping sauce (look for more info on that below), Etouffee with rice and some cajun butter and bread. Now I did fine with the etouffee. I had maybe a cup and a half, so that was fine. And the rangoon was pretty light and I did my best to limit the sauce. But the beer. Lets just say I probably blew over 20 pts in beer. I was drinking Bass and then a couple of local brews that are stronger than your average beer. 9.0% and 10.5 abv respectively.

Sunday morning was breakfast out with our best friends Jay and Kelly! I had and omelet and some hash browns and a biscuit. That was more brunch so we ended up with chicken and shrimp with a twice baked potato for dinner. BUT.... in the middle of that was half a pint of Ben and Jerrys. Yikes! This sweet tooth thing is just brutal. Maybe it is an ice cream tooth. I also had some evening chips and salsa, but it was baked scoops so I feel a bit better about that.

So that was the weekend. Looking back I do not feel quite as bad about it, but it was definitely not that great weekend I thought it would be on the diet and exercise front. Oh yeah.. I have not run since Wednesday.

So back to it this week.

Now on to the Cajun Rangoon Recipe -
I would love to take credit, but Roni over at Ronis Weigh and her cooking site Green Lite Bites Gave me this idea. Here is the link to the recipe that got me started. Wonton Pizza Bites.

Basically I followed the same idea I just stuffed the wrappers with dirty rice and Cajun shrimp or dirty rice and Cajun turkey. Use some water to get em sealed up and put them in a mini muffin pan. Note: I think you could probably get away with a cookie sheet if you sealed them up well. Bake them at 375 for 15 minutes or so and bing bang popcorn! Appetizer! Oh but the Ala mer sauce....

Basically I put a TBS of butter in a pan and sautéed green onion, garlic, and fresh parsley until just br0wn, added about a 1/4 cup water and cooked it down to get all the goodness from the pan. Then add 1 pint heavy cream and Cajun seasoning to taste (for me that would be alot) and begin to stir, add parmesan cheese to thicken. I always end up using some cornstarch to get it thicker and in this case a I got it to a glue like consistency. And there you have it.

I have now typed another novel.... sorry guys. See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, apparently the Pokes v. Tigers game this weekend is going to be televised nationally. Fun stuff.

What a crazy good season for the Big XII!

SuperDave said...

Mizzou is kickin a** this year! It was 52-10 at the end of the 3rd quarter. LOL! Must be great to see the Cornhuskers stomped!
Now if Texas upsets Oklahoma, guess who's # 1. oops Oky State first.

darrla said...

ummm....guess who will be #1? That would be ALABAMA!! We are 6-0 for the first time in who can remember when!! I hope that Texas does beat Oklahoma, but I noticed that you did not consider Alabama in your little prediction!! ROLL TIDE!

Matt Keeling said...

Darrla - I guess it depends on your poll preference. Basically what it amounts to is that is we all take care of business then I will be seeing you in FL.

...to Lose 55 Pounds said...

From a Husker native and fan...ouch. Enough said.