Thursday, March 6, 2008

Chunky Tomato Chicken Soup

Last night I came home to make dinner and looked through the fridge and just grabbed some things and started what I thought was going to be some grilled chicken with pasta and a quick sauce. I ended up with soup. This is how Chunky Tomato Chicken Soup was born. I sauteed garlic, onions, red peppers, yellow peppers, green peppers and mushrooms inolive oil and once the diced onion has become translucent and ad a can of diced tomatoes. Then I spiced it up with Salt, Pepper, Ground Red Pepper, Basil, Oregano, and Parsley. This is where I generally stop and allow the water to reduce and call it my chunky tomato sauce for pasta. But this time I thought what if I just through it all together add a little water and call it soup. So I poured my cooked macaroni pasta, diced grilled chicken and tomato sauce concoction together, added water and called it soup. It was delicious. I would change out the pasta to Orzo, mini shell or something smaller. I would also have added a can of tomato sauce as a thickener. So I am going to write out a recipe below but I recommend you play with it and make it your own. I am considering it a starter to what might become a damn good soup. Also for those of you counting points.... The recipe below came out to 14.5 points and you can easily get 2 enormous bowls out of it. (probably 4 cups of soup). So 3 good sized bowls as well. As always calculate your points and let me know if I am WAAAAY off.

Chunky Tomato Chicken Soup

1 1/2 Tbs Olive Oil
1/4 cup Green Pepper
1/4 cup Yellow Pepper
1/4 cup Red Pepper
1/4 cup Onion
4 cloves Garlic (to ward of vampires)
1 can Diced Tomatoes
2 tsp Basil (why 2, because it is delicious)
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Parsley
1/2 tsp Ground Red Pepper (Oh put it in you wus)
Salt and Black Pepper to taste

4 oz cooked - Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
1/2 cup uncooked pasta (macaroni is what the points are based on)

Saute Onions, garlic, and peppers in olive oil. Once onions are translucent add diced tomatoes. Add enough water the cook pasta and bring to a boil. Add pasta and get to cooking your chicken. I cook my on the George Foreman grill but you could cook it in a pan with cooking spray. Once your chicken is done but still nice and moist dice it and add it to your soup. Let you pasta cook until done and continue to boil until you get the consistency you want.

No comments: