Monday, March 10, 2008

Setbacks

Lets discuss setbacks today shall we. I would like to recount the last three wonderful days to you and explain why this weekend was a big setback whether the scales say so or not. As you can probably tell things got out of hand over the weekend and I am preparing for my first gain of weight during this process. Lets begin with Friday. Friday morning, afternoon and early evening were fine. Friday night however I had a card game at my house and I indulged on the beer, then I also over indulged on the beer. Moving on to Saturday. Saturday we woke up and we on our way to a birthday party for the daughter of a friend of ours. The party was at Godfathers Pizza and I did have 2 slices of pepperoni, now I was not to unhappy about this since I had only eaten a WW muffin that morning. But then came the Em Chamas Brazilian Grill. We went out with a group of friends and had a wonderful time. I guess the best way to describe this place is extremely Atkins diet friendly. The have a bunch of servers walking around with skewers of roasted meat. We were probably there for about 3 hours or so just chatting and enjoying such a nice dinner. We then went out bowling where I again enjoyed a couple of beers. On to Sunday. I know I know you would think that I would have stopped but we will get to that shortly. Sunday was highlighted by a Jack Daniels burger at TGI Fridays for lunch and some late night lasagna for dinner after Carrie and I went to see Juno.

So now that you have the rundown of the weekends events I would like to tell you why it was a serious setback. Lets forget about the scale until Tuesday as there is an outside shot I could still do something crazy and lose weight. Lets instead focus on the fact that I felt like a complete failure after Friday evening. I beat myself up pretty hard about the amount I drank Friday evening and had it not been for Carrie I probably would have shut myself in and skipped the rest of the weekend. This is the first time I felt really guilty over something I had done while on this journey. I wish I could accurately describe how I felt but it is difficult. I actually was not to unhappy with Saturday. I am certain that I went over in points, however it was a planned event and I was ready for it. I made poor dietary choices that day but they were thoroughly enjoyed. Sunday was a complete disaster. This should have been the day when I got back on the wagon and started back down the path to a thinner and healthier me. Instead I decide that we should go to TGI Fridays and have lunch because I had a gift card and then upon arrival instead of sticking with water I order a Margarita. Genius I tell you. Then to top that with a late night huge serving of lasagna well that was a mistake and I know it.

So last night and this morning I have been analyzing my weekend and trying to see where I went wrong. First I was angry with myself for drinking to much at my poker game. A stupid mistake, but how do you fix it. My first thought we be bottled water. I think if I had something there to drink that was not beer I probably would have drank it, or at least drank the beer in more moderation. Saturday quite honestly I would not change one bit. I ate but it was enjoyed. I drank but in moderation. Overall I had an amazing evening and do not regret it one bit. Sunday is where I really think the setback dug it heels in and said I am here to stay. Rather that making healthy choices I said out loud, "Well I have already blown this weekend so I might as well do it up right". I would be curious to know if anyone reading this has ever been sown this road. When I should have gotten back on the plan I decided that instead I would stay off the plan for one more day. I am still trying to figure out while. I am pretty miserable today. I feel tired and my stomach telling me to never do that again. What is it in the brain that allows a person to be so strong of will for so long and then just fail so completely.

I am back on the plan today and will do my best to ride my bike tonight to burn off some of the bazillion calories I took in over the weekend. I am already looking towards next week. I will be back on track and get back to the plan. So I will see you all Tuesday evening to let you know how the weigh in goes.

ADDITION - in all that negativity I should mention that I went out and bought some new jeans over the weekend that were a size smaller and I also was able to comfortably fit into the next fit down. So there is some good news from the weekend that was. Sorry about all the negativity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Babe,
I dont want you to think that you failed. You haven't failed anything. It was one weekend. No we didn't need to eat a lot of what we did this weekend and we will do better in the future but you have to look at all the hard work you have done so far. One weekend doesnt mean that you have failed. I know you can do this. I'm so proud of you. (and you look hot in your new jeans). I love you. C

Anonymous said...

I have to say, after I set the birthday party and addressed the invitations the thought of it being a conflict for you did come to mind. Two slices of pizza is a great job.

Stop beating yourself up... it was one weekend. You're doing a great job!

Your IOWA connection.